Good morning everyone !
Last week has been rather hectic for me because it was my son’s birthday. I always worried that my cakes would not turn out well, and to avoid disappointment, for the past 5 years I ordered all the cakes we needed for the occasion. This year, I decided to take the plunge!
My son’s favourite character at the moment is Ironman and second, there comes Captain America ! So, I made Captain America inspired cupcakes with red, white, blue sprinkles on top and chocolate chips decoration for his Birthday with his classmates at school, a Captain America fondant cake with 3 layers of red, white, blue frostings for dinner at home on the day of his Birthday. On the party day when he had friends coming over at home, I made his favourite Ironman fondant cake with red and yellow frosting and some chocolate cakepops for the girls whom I guessed don ‘t care who that Ironman is.
As I made those mostly at weird hours when the kids were in bed and I was not quite sure of it success, I can only share with you the final photos. There are no step by step instruction.
Here are recipes that I used in my cakes :
I added 3 Tbsp of chocolate chips into the mixture at the final step.
Frosting on cupcakes and between cake layers : http://www.marthastewart.com/964331/cream-cheese-frosting
Chocolate coating on cakepops :
1 cup of chocolate chip with 1 table spoon of vegetable oil, med-high in microwave for 30 sec.
Fondant: I bought the ready-to-use fondant 🙂
Chocolate chips for decoration :
Melt the chocolate chips and pour into molds, pop into the fridge for 30mins
Tips from my experience :
- Cupcake : Fill the batter to half of the cupcake lining.
- The first time I made a cake with fondant was the Captain America cake. I did not trim off the top of the cake so it was a bit fluffy even with the fondant on top.
- The Ironman cake, I trimmed off the top to make the shape neater.
- I printed an Ironman face from internet, made 2 copies :1 with only the outline of the face, 1 with the yellow parts cutout.
- Place the outline of the face onto the red fondant and cut out the shape
- Place the yellow parts onto the fondant and cut out the shape
- Place the yellow fondant onto the red fondant. You will have the Ironman face as I did.
- I ended up with 2 yummy cake tops from the Ironman cake so I made some cakepop for the girls. Nothing wasted !
My son, his classmates and our guests love my cakes. I am super happy !
I will post every Tuesday, from now on. For daily updates, please follow me on Instagram. Thank you veery much!
Love and sunshine,